One of our favorite winter camp recipes is chili (it’s great in summer too!) This Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe is thick and hearty with a rich spicy tomato sauce. It’s super easy to make in a camp Dutch oven over the campfire but it can also be made using a camp stove or RV stove. It is the perfect camping dinner when the afternoons are on the cool side and you want to warm up by the campfire as well as cook over it! Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe
Step 1. Start the campfire.
Start your campfire and set up the Dutch oven for cooking over medium-high heat. This particular time, we set our oven on a grate rather than using a hanging tripod.
If you need a little help getting your fire going … check out our post for tips: Fire Starters Camping Enthusiasts Must Have!
Step 2. Chop the veggies.
Camping Flexible Cutting Mats
There is just a little prep work when it comes to this Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe. Just chop a few veggies … onions, garlic, bell and jalapeno peppers and you are cooking!
I totally LOVE my Camping Flexible Cutting Mats that come in 3 sizes and allow me to curl them to easily funnel food directly into my camp Dutch oven.
Step 3. Brown the meat.
You will be browning ground beef and pork sausage in your camp Dutch oven over medium-high heat for this Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe.
Camp Cooking Tip: When you are cooking over a campfire, you can quickly brown meat in your Dutch oven. You actually want to be cooking over the campfire coals while you maintain additional “fuel” with a campfire you are feeding with new firewood off to the side. Then you can move coals closer to … or … further away from your camp Dutch oven to control the heat. If you are baking with your camp Dutch oven, it can be easier to maintain a precise temperature if you use charcoal briquettes as the heat source.
Step 4. Add the veggies.
After the meat is browned, you need to add the onions, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno peppers you have chopped for this campfire Dutch oven chili recipe.
You will cook the veggies until they are softened then add the final ingredients.
Step 5. Add remaining ingredients.
Now add the V-8, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, cayenne pepper, sugar, oregano, ground black pepper, salt, cumin and chili powder.
Step 6. Simmer over the campfire.
You will bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to low … cover … and simmer for about 2 hours stirring occasionally.
Camp Cooking Tip: You will probably have to move some of the campfire coals away from the Dutch oven in order to reduce the heat from medium-high to low.
I know … simmering for 2 hours seems like an eternity but this Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe is worth the wait! Just break out your favorite games to pass the time. If you need some new ideas, check out our favorite campfire games your entire family will enjoy!
Step 7. Serve with toppings.
Everyone has their favorite toppings for chili. We recommend sour cream, onion, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and crusty bread to go along with our Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe.
Print This Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe
2 hours 30 minutes
2 hours 45 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. hot Italian ground bulk pork sausage (if you want to tone down the spice, use mild or plain)
- 1 can (46 fluid oz.) V8 vegetable juice
- 1 (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- Sour cream
- Chopped onion
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Finely chopped jalapenos
- Loaf crusty bread
- Start your campfire and set up a 12-inch DEEP Dutch oven for cooking.
- Add ground beef and pork sausage. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking up the meat until evenly brown.
- Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper to the meat mixture and cook till softened.
- Now add the V-8, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, cayenne pepper, sugar, oregano, ground black pepper, salt, cumin and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 2 hours stirring occasionally until the chili has reached the desired thickness. Camp Cooking Tip: Adjust the heat by positioning the camp Dutch oven closer to, or further away from the campfire coals to maintain the proper temperature.
- Top and serve. Our recommendation of optional toppings: sour cream, onion, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and crusty bread.
Here are a few more useful links:
Dutch Oven Temperature Chart https://www.campingforfoodies.com/dutch-oven-temperature-chart/
Camping For Foodies Recipes List https://www.campingforfoodies.com/camping-recipes-list/
Our Products https://www.campingforfoodies.com/shop/
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 738 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 104mg Sodium: 1652mg Carbohydrates: 72g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 42g
Want to make the classic combination of cornbread and chili? Try our totally yummy Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe!
If you want more camping food ideas, we’ve got them! Let us know if you have a favorite camping recipe we should add to our list be leaving us a comment below!====
We currently have 4 different campfire Dutch oven chili recipes on Camping For Foodies. You may want to try one or all 4!
- Chill-Fighter Chili Camp Recipe (classically delicious and one of my favorites)
- Campfire White Chili Recipe (beyond yummy with a slight Mexican flare from the cumin and cilantro)
- Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe (a bit too spicy for me but my husband loves it, he is a heat freak in case you didn’t know 😉 )
- Spicy Chicken and Corn Chili Camp Recipe (a recipe I created for The Emergency Kit Cook Off which prohibited the used of any perishable food items, so, I used non-perishable canned goods and dried spices to create a dish that is perfect if you are low on refrigerator/cooler space during your camping trips!)
See all of our yummy breakfast, appetizer, dinner, side and dessert camp Dutch oven recipes your family will love! Check out our Dutch Oven Recipes For Camping post!
Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe Camp Cooking Tips
Coghlan’s 7940 12 x 5
Need help getting your fire started for cooking this Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe? These Coghlan’s fire sticks are non toxic, they leave no odor and burn completely. They even light after being submerged in water!
Texsport Heavy Duty Camp 24
If you are cooking this Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe in a large campfire ring, using a camp grill grate is the perfect way to organize your fire pit for cooking off to the side of the campfire area.
The Perfect CampfireGrill Heavy-Duty Log Tweezers
Using long “Tweezers” will help you stay a safe distance from the hot campfire while you are adjusting your firewood while cooking your Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe.
Camping For Foodies Flexible Cutting Mats with Retro RV Camper Theme
Put a smile on your face while you are chopping your veggies for this Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe by using these cute retro RV camper trailer flexible cutting mats with the camp, hike, cook, drink, eat, repeat message.
Coleman Cast Iron Lid Lifter
After your Dutch oven is pre-heated, take extra precaution when handling the hot cooking utensils … the lid as well as the handle. A cast iron lid lifter can keep you safely away from the hot campfire and coals.
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!
ToteCutting MatMat SetShaker SetHammock
If you need camping recipes and menu ideas, you can find them here at the Camping For Foodies Camping Recipes list.
Don’t miss a thing…sign up for Camping For Foodies email updates!
Your purchase of our products will help support World Vision ® Building a better world for children.
The post Campfire Dutch Oven Chili Recipe appeared first on Camping For Foodies.